Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Final Post from Rome

So my last blog seemed to have gotten cut off some how and when I went to edit it the rest of the material had gotten cut off as well so unfortunately I think I just lost the last little bit of the last blog, hopefully the problem doesn't happen again, but just to be safe, Ill be saving this post to a word document for backup.
Anyways, that being said, Rome has been truly amazing! In the last couple of days I have seen so many of the things that I have been longing to see for my entire life. Monday was spent touring the incredible Vatican City. I’ve seen a lot of amazing things in my life, but walking though the lush garden and halls of Vatican City was truly an experience unlike anything I’ve ever witnessed, and it took my breath away. Everything is massive, ornate, and awe-inspiring. From the statues, to the Egyptian artifacts, the architecture, the massive paintings by the School of Raphael, everything was unlike anything I’ve ever experienced. The finale of the incredible trip was finally getting to see the greatest piece of artwork in Western history, Michelangelo's painting of the Sistine Chapel. This was the number one thing I was looking forward to seeing coming to Europe and it blew away my expectations. We also got to tour the crypts where all of the Pope's are buried, including St. Peter.
Yesterday we took a couple of walking tours and I got to see even more phenomenal structures. I walked the steps of the Coliseum and the paths where the Senators used to walk, talk, and convene. It was truly something incredible. Last night we also went out as a massive group (35 people) and did a bar crawl together to celebrate the birthdays of a couple of girls in our group. It was a lot of fun and nobody got hurt or into trouble so it was definitely worthwhile.
Today was spent going to a couple more places to enjoy even more of the incredible Italian art. We visited museums and churches and saw even more amazing things, including the original chains that St. Peter was bound with. Tomorrow we head out for Padua, which is right next to Venice. I’ve always wanted to see the underwater city and I can’t wait to go and check it out. Ill post soon from Venice, so if you have any questions, feel free to email me or put them in the comments section.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you got to meet Phil Harmonic, I hear he is a really nice guy. Did you get a chance to hear any music at the philharmonic?

    ReplyDelete