Friday, June 5, 2009

Greetings From Rome!


Hello everyone! Writing from my hotel room in Rome, Italy! The trip so far has been truly incredible, Ill try to keep the blog updated more often so that I don't have to make posts quite as long as I'm sure this one will be.
Anyways, I guess I'll pick up where my last blog left off, Munich, Germany. Munich was truly one of the most beautiful and cleanest cities I've ever been to, the center square is the home to a bunch of great shops and restaurants, as well as one of the biggest clocks in the world. It would have been nice to have had an extra day in Munich, as I didn't feel I had quite enough time to truly get to know the beautiful city, especially because the first day we were there we didn't even spend anytime there.
Instead, we headed to Salzburg, Austria, and took the Sound of Music tour, where we got to see many of the beautiful locations for the filming of the movie. I was skeptical at first, not really particularly fascinated when I got to see the steps where "Do Re Mi" was sung, but about half way through we took a bus ride up to the top of the mountains and saw some great scenery. Also in Salzburg we got to see a group of guys who spent all day playing chess with giant chess pieces against each other. I don't know much about chess, but they were apparently pretty good because Jeremy, one of our group members who went to National's for chess competition played one of their guys and lost (I think the Austrian's might have cheated though, they were all chatting in German throughout the game).
After Germany we headed to Florence, Italy. Florence was a great little city with winding, narrow roads that you have to share with some crazy cyclists, motorcyles, and cars as you make your way around town. In Florence, we got to see some great museums (including the Accademia with the incredible David sculpture by Michelangelo), go to the top of the Duomo, and eat delicous gillato. At night we found a little place on top of a hill where we could see the entire city and have a picnic diner before we would go out to the Italian night life, which surprisingly was almost all Americans

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sean - I remember those guys (well, probably different guys) playing chess when I went with mom and dad 25 years ago!

    I think your posts are cutting off unless I am being blonde and can't find the rest of the entry (from this one and the previous one).

    Love ya - Mariah

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm, thanks for pointing out the problem. Your not being blonde, I can't figure it out either...Ill talk to one of my group members who is also doing a blog to see if they know what to do, and if not Ill just start sending posts out by email or something.
    And it might actually have been the same guys playing chess, they were pretty old and they definitely had the look of men who had only played chess for the last 25 years.
    Hope everything's going well at home, love you too- sean

    ReplyDelete